Addie continues to amaze and entertain. The other day when I got home from work I found her in her old bouncy chair watching a baby Einstein video. She didn't even turn around when I walked in the door. She was totally chillaxing and in "the zone". I was a little amazed/horrified at at the power of the boob tube, but I just kissed her head and told her that mommy can relate to the need for some down time (then grabbed the camera). This was just after Thanksgiving and being surrounded by people - dear people whom we love dearly - but I honestly think she was just enjoying some quiet time. And the fact that she caught a horrible cold probably played into that. She's on the mend, but poor daddy is now suffering with the same crud. My poor babies.Addie's latest skillz:
1. Her favorite word is "uh-oh"
2. She loves to give daddy "knuckles" when daddy says "solid". (We even taught grandad how to do this over Thanksgiving.)
3. She's getting really good at feeding herself with a spoon.
4. Other "words" she says include: mommy, dada, thank you, moon, ball, shoe and hi. She's a total genius, I know.
5. She understands us when we ask her to get up to the table, to get her shoes on, that she may NOT have a cookie, let's brush our teeth, etc. It's constantly surprising me what she seems to understand - and a little unnerving! Time to become more aware of what we say around her. : )
She also has molars! This came as a total surprise last week. I peeked into her mouth and noticed that she has 4 coming in. We had no idea.
Another major development is that this past weekend my mom left Lincoln. She's moving down to Mission, TX to help care for Grandma and Grandpa Castillo. It is so sad to see her go! We've seen each other on a weekly basis, and often daily basis, for the past 16 years. To now have her 1,000 miles away is going to be a hard adjustment.
Still, I'm really thankful that she's able to help care for Grandma and Grandpa. Grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer this summer and also seems to be suffering from Alzheimers. She is currently in a nursing home, but seems to be doing really well despite all of the changes she's gone through recently.
Grandpa Al was diagnosed with prostate cancer this summer also. He's currently undergoing daily radiation treatments, which will continue for about a month. He seems to be getting along with that very well so far.
Is it just me, or does cancer seem to be everywhere? Yesterday we went to a welcome home party for my oldest friend, Kjell. He and his wife had been at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for 2 1/2 months where he was undergoing treatment for brain cancer. He has been amazing in his fight. The only way you could tell he has been through anything is by the large scar on his scalp. When I asked him how he was feeling yesterday, he said "I'm just happy to be home and ready to kick cancer's ass." I say Amen to that.
The first weekend of December marked the second anniversary of Ellen's death. It just seems to me like it's been soooo much longer than that. Hasn't it been decades since I've seen my sister? This year was harder for me in a lot of ways. One of the major ways was that Addie is the same age that Parker was when Ellen died. I can't imagine not getting to see Addie grow beyond this point. I also turn 35 in a couple weeks, and Ellen was diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks after her 35th birthday. I'm just relating to her death more on her level this year as a mom and as a woman.
Just so many reminders of how precious life is. I need to cherish everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment