Now, just because we're really excited about her new school doesn't mean that it hasn't come without some growing pains. After our orientation tour last week Dennis and I were both blue - Ok - he was blue, I was a blubbering fool. Gnashing my teeth and weeping over the fact that my baby girl is entering into “the world” of other people for more than one day a week. Sheesh.

Thankfully, I got a grip and was able to celebrate Addie’s third birthday (yes – again!) by having a BBQ at our place. BTW, don’t buy polish sausages from Wal-Mart. They were B-A-D! I publicly apologize to our guests.
Despite the odd tasting pork products, we managed to have a great time – especially Addie – who at the age of three is able to grasp the concept of a day devoted to herself. She had a wonderful time with all of her little buddies, and many cupcakes were consumed.
Then on Monday the day arrived. Dennis dropped her off, and he said she made the transition like a champ – basically just asking to go play. No tears, clinging or even a “Bye, daddy!”. So that was a great sign.
Then it was mommy’s turn to pick Addie up. I found her over by the chicken pen with a group of her new friends. They were feeding the chickens and laughing every time the rooster crowed. It was a pretty great sight. But then I noticed that there were no adults watching these 3-6 year olds. When I located the teacher a few feet away visiting with another family I had to tell her I was taking Addie home - all the while thinking (my-God-how-does-she-know-I’m-not-a-pedophile-or-crazy-person-and-why-wasn't-she-watching-my-kid's-every-move!!!)
For a mom who is accustomed to picking her kid up from a daycare facility that has a locked front door and each child has a code to type into a computer to check them in and out this was a little too relaxed.
Maybe this is all just the Montessori way? Maybe I’m a hypersensitive, over protective mom? (maybe? try definitely). Needless to say this is going to take some getting used to.
No comments:
Post a Comment