Friday, August 01, 2008

H.O.T.

It's finally gotten hot and definitely feels like summer. And sure enough, right on the very hottest day we’ve had this summer – our AC went kaput. No idea what went wrong, but we soon learned that our hot water heater had stopped working too. So at least we could take cold showers! Then two steamy days and nights spent sleeping in the basement, they both started working again. Was this just a quick little reminder of how wonderful these modern conveniences are? I don’t care, as long as they keep on working since it’s been pushing 100 for the past week.

Addie has been in preschool for two months now. I’ve noticed that she has become a lot more independent in wanting to do everything for herself. “Momma me do it” has become a VERY common phrase around our house.

She has been given complements from her teacher as bring very kind and easy going. Although, I bet Uncle Zach and Aunt Stacy might think otherwise after trying to get her to nap last Sunday!

Anyway, I’ve also been told that she is very good at speaking clearly. I love this because there is no better sound then her little voice, which chatters on constantly it seems. I’ve been meaning to write down some of the cute stuff she says. So bear with me with the following “she says = she means” list:
Van-bade = band aide
chip-lack= chapstick
Police pants = capries pants
Puhnaanuhnuh = banana
Chockohlat = chocolate
swimming cool = swimming pool
Eat at straw = eat at a restaurant

Other funny things she’s been saying lately is “Mommy, watch this.” and then she’ll proceed to do something like hop on one foot, make a funny face or wink. Another one is “Mommy, know what? There’s a girl in this house. ME!” And my favorite is “Momma, we’re friends.”

She’s also been a big fan of saying “huh?” a lot. I’ve tried and tried to get her to politely say “pardon” instead, but have only made myself realize how much I say “huh” in the process.

She has also been going over the things she's learned like, "mommy, we don't eat poop." (she hasen't ever tried to do this) and "mommy, I don't pee like daddy" (she has tried this). I'm glad she's gotten these things down.

I can’t believe July is over. The lightning bugs have stopped blinking as wildly, and the locusts are in full scream (we do have the coolest summer insects!) We’ve had a really fun summer – going to the farmers market, enjoying outdoor concerts, going to the lake or the pool, and lots of visits with family and friends. Busy enough to have fun, but not so busy that we feel harried and down-right pooped.

Now, I can’t speak for my dear husband. Camp has just come to a close – with another record-breaking Quilt Auction (over $160,000 raise, people!). His summer has been a busy one, and I’m sure his fall will be little better.

As a reward for working full time again this summer he traded in our 1947 Ford tractor and used riding lawn mower for a new super duper lawn mower – no MACHINE! Being the ever thrifty man he is I am so proud of him for biting the spendy bullet. It has saved him countless hours coaxing our tractor to start and repairing our second hand rider. I think he likes mowing now, and even Uncle Derek wants to come out and mow. Bring it! (It must be a guy thing.) If he’s happy – I’m happy, and our yard looks fab.


Who ever thought a lawn mower could make us happy. We’ve really settled.

No comments: