
Let me first say that I love my girlfriends. They are a spontaneous, fun-loving group. When I emailed them waaaay back in March asking if they wanted to buy tickets to see U2 in Chicago (and BTW, I needed to know THAT DAY!) they all wrote back and said they were IN. So began our pilgrimage to see our favorite band exactly 17 years and one day from the day we saw them for the first time in Ames, IA.

In 1992 Kathryn, Megan and I participated in a lottery to get arm bands to line up to buy tickets to see U2 during their ZooTV tour. I don’t remember who actually got the best place in the line to purchase the tickets, but I’ll never forget walking back – no FLYING back – to Kathryn’s house with our tickets in hand.
Flash-forward 17 years and I’m happy to say we haven’t grown up a bit. Of course our little adventure to see a U2 show involved a few more details (husbands, children, jobs) but thanks to our wonderful husbands, children, jobs - and everyone else who helped make it possible (thank you grandma, grandpa, Uncle Zach and Aunt Stacy!!) – we all converged in downtown Chicago on Sept. 12 for what will be one of my most treasured girlfriend gathering memories.
Our time together was richly blessed. We all arrived safely. Met up effortlessly. The weather was perfect. The city was beautiful. And Chicago had a palatable buzz in the air because the BOYS were in TOWN! It was beyond cool.
After a crazy cab ride to a delectable lunch, a beautiful stroll back to our hotel along the Magnificent Mile and Grant Park, we hiked to Soldier Field. It was truly a pilgrimage. U2 fans of all ages were streaming towards the field, and everyone was friendly and excited about the show.
I was excited, but I didn’t have really high expectations. For me, the concert was about spending time with my girls. The last U2 concert was just OK, and I honestly thought it was because I’d grown up and moved on a bit. Well, as it turns out, I still have the heart of a 19 year old because when the show started I screamed, jumped up and down and swooned like a Jonas Brother’s fan.
What. A. Show. Seriously. It was magnificent. The stage was inspired, and really made the show for a stadium audience. The sound was amazing. And - much to my surprise – our seats were really quite good. We sat straight back from the stage, so our view was perfect and so was the sound. And the cute Irish opening band didn't hurt things a bit! : )

I’ll spare the details, but it was an out of body experience. Kathryn was there to pull me back down to earth as she’d reach over and put her arm around me and we’d sing out the lyrics to our favorite song together.
Kathryn and I have good U2 concert karma. Back to 1992 again, we decided that one viewing of ZooTV was NOT enough. So we bought some scalped tickets to see the show again in Kansas City. Long story short we ended up in the very first row of Arrowhead stadium (see pic at right) for what is still one of the most amazing nights of my life. Is that a little sad? I guess there’s nothing sad about doing something you love with the friends you love.
I wonder if anyone will be up for hitting the second leg of their 360 US tour . . .

In 1992 Kathryn, Megan and I participated in a lottery to get arm bands to line up to buy tickets to see U2 during their ZooTV tour. I don’t remember who actually got the best place in the line to purchase the tickets, but I’ll never forget walking back – no FLYING back – to Kathryn’s house with our tickets in hand.
Flash-forward 17 years and I’m happy to say we haven’t grown up a bit. Of course our little adventure to see a U2 show involved a few more details (husbands, children, jobs) but thanks to our wonderful husbands, children, jobs - and everyone else who helped make it possible (thank you grandma, grandpa, Uncle Zach and Aunt Stacy!!) – we all converged in downtown Chicago on Sept. 12 for what will be one of my most treasured girlfriend gathering memories.
Our time together was richly blessed. We all arrived safely. Met up effortlessly. The weather was perfect. The city was beautiful. And Chicago had a palatable buzz in the air because the BOYS were in TOWN! It was beyond cool.
After a crazy cab ride to a delectable lunch, a beautiful stroll back to our hotel along the Magnificent Mile and Grant Park, we hiked to Soldier Field. It was truly a pilgrimage. U2 fans of all ages were streaming towards the field, and everyone was friendly and excited about the show.

I was excited, but I didn’t have really high expectations. For me, the concert was about spending time with my girls. The last U2 concert was just OK, and I honestly thought it was because I’d grown up and moved on a bit. Well, as it turns out, I still have the heart of a 19 year old because when the show started I screamed, jumped up and down and swooned like a Jonas Brother’s fan.
What. A. Show. Seriously. It was magnificent. The stage was inspired, and really made the show for a stadium audience. The sound was amazing. And - much to my surprise – our seats were really quite good. We sat straight back from the stage, so our view was perfect and so was the sound. And the cute Irish opening band didn't hurt things a bit! : )

I’ll spare the details, but it was an out of body experience. Kathryn was there to pull me back down to earth as she’d reach over and put her arm around me and we’d sing out the lyrics to our favorite song together.
Kathryn and I have good U2 concert karma. Back to 1992 again, we decided that one viewing of ZooTV was NOT enough. So we bought some scalped tickets to see the show again in Kansas City. Long story short we ended up in the very first row of Arrowhead stadium (see pic at right) for what is still one of the most amazing nights of my life. Is that a little sad? I guess there’s nothing sad about doing something you love with the friends you love.
I wonder if anyone will be up for hitting the second leg of their 360 US tour . . .
3 comments:
The minute we left the stadium, I wanted to go again.
I am sooo happy that some of my best memories EVER involve you, my dear friend. You captured our September weekend perfectly...I will treasure it forever.
I get to go next time, too! I DO NOT like being the friend whose claim to fame is missing the most U2 concerts and only getting go to the marginal concert. I'm so in for the next round.
They'll be back in Chicago in July, baby! :)
Post a Comment