This past Sunday was "high school flash-back day". Dennis, Addie and I had the opportunity to visit with old friends from high school - Dave Hudson and Kjell Cronn.
Dave and I hung out a lot in high school. He also knew my family pretty well since he worked for my dad for a brief period. He and his wife, Shari, recently had a baby boy, Owen.
Kjell is my oldest friend in the world. We grew up together and have known each other since I was 4. He and his wife Lisa recently moved back to Nebraska after living in San Francisco.
It was so much fun to sit in Dave's living room and remember things I hadn't thought about in 15 years, like- REM concerts, speech meets, old prom dates, and Dave's HUGE yellow car whose dashboard was decorated with pez dispensers, plastic flowers and Santa heads that lit up. Poor Dennis, Shari and Lisa listened patently as Kjell, Dave and I would talk about people they'd never heard of, and finish each other's sentences in gales of laughter.
There was a lot of catching up to do. I basically had to tell Dave "Ok, tell me what you've been up to since 1991." Still it's pretty great that with all of the adventures we've had over the past few years, we're still able to laugh together like no time had passed. What's best of all is that we
can now share our new-found friendship with our families. Our new memories will now include our spouses and children.
Then that night, I received a phone call from Matt Daharsh - a classmate of mine from Cozad. I hadn't talked to him since graduation! It was so funny that he choose that night to call. We ended up talking for quite awhile. I was happy to hear that even though he's a family man with 3 girls, he still has "The Dead Kennedy's" playing in is car.
No comments:
Post a Comment