Thursday, May 31, 2007


May has flown by, and looking back, I'm sure it's because we were so busy! The month started with a celebration for Addie's (and mommy's) dear friend, Julie. She has taken care of Addie for the past year, and she has now graduated from grad school. So Addie's favorite baby sitter is now moving onto a much higher paying job! Addie will miss her! Congratulations, Julie!

Later that same weekend we had a visit from the Menke family. Art and Dennis ran the 1/2 marathon (slackers!). They did run with a team who push a guy in a wheel chair, so I guess they probably did get a work out. The whole family came up for the weekend. Anita is my idol because she just had Asher 4 weeks earlier. We were so happy to get to meet this Menke so soon after his arrival.
Addie was pretty excited to have a baby around and she did a nice job holding him, but she made me pretty nervous around him with constantly wanting to touch him, hold him, jump up and down beside him, etc. . . Nita, naturally took it all in stride. Maybe the more kids you have the more laid back you get? I'd have to have 300 children to be as easy-going as Anita. Like I said, she's my idol.

The next weekend we drove to Cozad to celebrate Mother's Day and Addie's 2nd birthday a little early. Granny and Granddad fixed a yummy steak dinner for her and fed her some chocolate pie, then it was time to open presents. Katherine and Granny helped. Addie and Katherine had a lot of fun playing together, and Dennis had his first opportunity to "work bees".

Later that week Grandma Pope and I celebrated mothers day by cashing in our gift certificates from Dennis for a hour-long message and a pedicure. When I got home Addie immediately ran over and squatted down by my feet and exclaimed "Oh WOW! Pretty toes!!".


On the 18th we celebrated Addie's 2nd birthday quietly with just the three of us. We met at the park then went and had dinner. I was surprised at how blue I was about her turning 2. When she turned 1 she didn't seem so changed, but now my baby is completely gone. I think just the big change was hard for me, and maybe now that Addie is no longer that docile, agreeable bundle of smiles. Now she's a rough and tumble, moody toddler. I guess I miss my baby, but I'm pretty delighted with my toddler - (and I can hear my parent's saying "you can always have another one . . ." : )

That weekend we finally had book club (aka-get together and eat and visit club). We hadn't seen each other since January! That is far too long, in my opinion, so we all swore to do better next time. We may even decide to read a book!

Memorial Day weekend was another wet weekend. We have been blessed with a lot of nice rain, which has done our new trees and garden wonders, but it's reeked havoc with Dennis' runs. He got rained on during the marathon, and rained on again for his trail run at Platte River State Park. Despite the gloomy weather the race photographer caught him with a smile on his face.

We also took Addie "camping" Memorial Day weekend out at Dennis' camp. We stayed in a cabin, so it wasn't hard core, but we had a nice campfire and went for a beautiful hike through the golden sun lit bur oak trees. Addie really seemed to love it. She'd point up at the trees and exclaim, "TREES!", then crouch down and point "BUG!" She did this constantly, and I kept trying to keep her out of the poison ivy!

Addie had her 3rd and final birthday celebration this weekend as well. Uncle Derek and Aunt Stacy and Uncle Zach brought out her new sandbox on Saturday. Addie thought Aunt Stacy was pretty amazing when she showed Addie how to make a sand castle. Then on Sunday we all met at the Lincoln Children's Zoo and later had a picnic. Addie had a blast and loved riding on the train.

Addie and I spent Memorial Day with Addie's best buddy - Sydney and her mommy, Maggie. We all met out at Roca Berry Farms for a picnic then we headed out to the strawberry patch and picked strawberries. Looking back, this may not have been the best activity for a couple of two-year-olds! Addie kept trampling the plants, pulling up plants and picking green berries. I think she and Syd ate about a pound of berries a piece! But they had a lot of laughs and got nice and dirty, so that was fun.

Memorial Day will always be a sad day for me, which is appropriate since it's a day set aside to honor those who have died in service for our country and those in our family who we've lost. But I will always think of Ellen. I remember Ellen and the boys coming to Nebraska Memorial Day weekend of 2004, and seeing her at the Omaha airport looking so tired and thin. "What is wrong with my sister?" I remember thinking to myself. Not in my wildest dreams could I have guessed how wrong things really were. So it's a sad time, but it's also good to be reminded to be thankful for all of the many blessings life has to offer, and to never forget about those we love.

No comments: