Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I know I say this every single blog entry – but WHERE did the time go? I can’t believe it’s nearly August. Good grief.

Summer has been full of fun. Here are the highlights from June and July:

On June 15th Dennis and I had a real, live date! Our friends Collin and Maggie offered to watch Addie while we went out for dinner and a movie. It was soooo great! Then next night we returned the favor by watching their little girl. Syd and Addie were in heaven getting to spend so much time together. We need to set something up like that again soon!

June was also filled with lots of opportunities to see friends and family. Dad and Cynthia kept Jackson and Parker (Ellen’s boys) while John was at a piano tuning conference in KC. They all spent the night with us one night, and I can’t believe how BIG they’ve gotten since Thanksgiving. It was fun to hang out blowing bubbles, running races and watching cowboy movies. Their visit was much too short, but we had another opportunity to see them, thankfully.
Mom, John and the boys and us all headed over to Des Moines the last week of June. They went to Des Moines because I had a meeting there for work, and if I was going to get to see them, then they had do come to me! I’m soooo grateful that John was willing to do that. So while I was at my meeting, G-ma, the daddies and the kiddoes explored Des Moines. They had a ton of fun, and Addie fell in love with the boys. I was pretty jealous that they all got to spend so much time together. I only got to see everyone briefly in the evenings after work. Still, it was great to all be together.

After John and the boys went home we spent the night at Dennis’ cousin’s house. Scott and Julia had a little girl in December, so it was great to finally meet her. She is so sweet, and Addie wanted to “hold the baby” all the time. We all met up with Dennis’ other cousin, Susie and her two girls at the Des Moines zoo. Who knew we’d use our zoo pass the most in Des Moines! : )

The next day we met up with my dear friends Kathryn and Megan and their families. Addie and Alex became fast friends. They're both two. We had a ball at the Des Moines science center. After all the fun of the week Addie fell asleep on the way home almost immediately.

Then later that week we headed to Cozad to celebrate the 4th. My brother Chris and his family from Atlanta were home, so it was really fun to get to see all of them again. This also meant that all the girl cousins were together again. It was fun to see them play together, even if a few “MINE!”s were exchanged. They had the most fun swimming in the horse tank Granddad and Uncle David rigged up for all the kids. Granny bought all the girls matching dresses, and we got some nice photos of them in the garden.

We all were hoping Anna would have the baby while we were all at home, but no such luck. She did end up having it on cousin Luke’s 9th birthday, so that was pretty special. Anna’s labor was a grand total of three hours! Devon Jeffery is a real sweetheart. Unfortunately, I have no photos! I was so excited to meet him that I completely forgot to snap any photos. Duh!

For the week of July 15th, Dennis led a group backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. I had a meeting in Scottsbluff that same week, so Granddad and Granny offered to come out west with me and baby sit Addie while we all camped out in the Airstream. Luke ended up come too, so that was a lot of fun for Addie. Luke is SO sweet to her, and she just adores him. Great memories!

Other than traveling around Nebraska and Iowa, we’ve just been enjoying the dog days of summer – eating fresh veggies out of the garden, going for walks, bike rides, and spending some time at the pool.

Addie just keeps growing and growing. She’s 26 lbs of “MINE!” and “NO!”. I’ve been assured this is completely normal for a two-year-old, but we wonder sometime. She also completely cracks us up sometimes. Like when she told Dennis to stand in the corner, or when she calls us “honey” - like when we sneeze “bless you, honey”. It’s also fun to see her little imagination working. I often catch her talking to herself or her dollies, so I know she’s got something major going on in her mind. She has really been interested in pretending to put diapers on her dolls and stuff animals. Maybe she’s getting ready to potty train? I’m not really looking forward to that task. Maybe she’ll just miraculously figure it all out!

No comments: