Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So, April is nearly over. I’ll never stop being amazed at how time marches. Except time doesn’t march in my life. It sprints, dashes, and tears by – “Wait! What was that? Oh. April.”

But it isn’t like we live our lives in constant gallop. Our lives are just – FULL. There’s a difference. Maybe everyone feels this way about their lives, but I don’t feel like we’re just madly rushing around throughout days. Our time is spent in a pretty comfortable pace, but it’s just FULL of LIFE.

April started with a wonderful night out with our dearest friends Jill and Joaquin. We hit Lincoln’s “First Friday” where all the galleries in town open up and show off their latest. I’d be lying if I said I was into the art. I’m more interested in the free aps and bevies and the great people watching. I’ve never really “gotten” art. I can appreciate a well made canapé or great glass of complementary wine far easier. But, I think good food and drink is an art form as well.

Speaking of food I have another must read. “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver is brilliant. Everyone who enjoys cooking, eating, gardening or the planet should read this book. It’s mind blowing in its simple message that we should pay attention to the foods we eat. How was it raised? Where did it come from? Is it more environmentally conscience to eat organically or locally? Think cheap food is really cheap? Think again. Someone always pays the piper, and it’s often you, me, and the family farm down the road. I’m making it sound like a really depressing book, but it isn’t. It’s often funny, and always interesting. Plus, it’s full of great recipes on how to cook up the plethora of summer veggies (zucchini!) that nearly run you out of the house come July. Please check it out.

April also brought two occasions to celebrate the impending birth of my friend Malia’s first child. The first occasion was a small affair of just “the girls.” It was a weekend full of lots of laughter and sage words about motherhood, friendship and keeping your sanity during one of life’s biggest life-changes. Check out the “Eat at Lucy’s” blog to the right for a full recap.

Since Malia also happens to be my sister-in-law, I got in on the “family” shower as well. My other sister in law graciously opened her home to about 25 women for a lovely brunch. There we presented Malia with the baby quilt Carol (Dennis’ mom), Stacy (Dennis’ sister) and I have been working on. Stacy and I picked out the fabrics, and Carol did the lion’s share of the stitching. Stacy came in a close second and I was dead last having spent just a couple hours on the quilt. Still, we all had our hand in it, and we hope the “littlest Pope” - as Malia likes to call the baby - will enjoy it as much as we enjoyed sewing it for him/her.

April also presented me with the opportunity to travel to Atlanta for a conference. The conference was OK, but the biggest highlight of my trip was being able to spend time with my brother Chris and his family at their beautiful home outside of Atlanta. It was just wonderful to be in their home. Our visits usually occur at Granny and Granddad’s home in Cozad, so it was great to see them truly “at home” doing their chores and bedtime prayers. I so wish they weren’t so far away and we could have dinner with each other every week.

I was once again amazed at how much I missed Dennis and Addie during my three nights away. No matter where I go, nothing compares to being home again.

Dennis isn’t seeing as much of home lately as his schedule picks up out at camp. He’s been doing a lot of training sessions for his summer staff. He’s also managed to expand our garden this year. Hopefully we’re not getting in over our heads here, but we’re both pretty excited to have our pantry overflowing with leafy green things. Dennis is also expanding the number of bee hives he’s going to run this year. He and Addie will head out to Cozad next week to help Granddad make “nukes” or new boxes of bees. Hopefully it warms up a bit.

Our spring has been not so springy. It’s been really gray and cold with a couple spastic days pushing 90. Not so much with the 70 degree sunny days. Let’s GO spring, already!

But then everyday is like spring living with our little sunshine, Adeline. Honestly. She is the sun. She is a bright, shining light of bouncing joy. She is a constant pouring forth of imagination and stories. She is spinning, breezy blur of a three year old, who never stops dancing. Man. How IS it possible to love someone this much?

Addie is acutely aware that it is spring. She has been asking when she will turn four since about Halloween. I’ve always said, “In the springtime.” And now that it IS spring, she’s constantly asking, “am I four yet, momma?”

Four? Really??! How DOES this happen? Time does fly.

1 comment:

writermom said...

I love your update! I love your big girl...she is sunshine personified!! What lovely words for your lovely daughter. Hugs to all. Miss you loads, k