Saturday, August 15, 2009

10 Years and Still Rockin'


Dennis and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary on Friday. We have always talked about doing something BIG to mark this milestone, but with Dennis’ schedule at camp still being really busy (how did we ever manage an August wedding?!) we ended up spending the day together as a family at the Omaha Zoo.

It was a beautiful day, and there is more than enough to see. We all ended up getting pretty pooped out. I was the first to fade, but I had a good excuse. I had been up late the night before rocking out at a Green Day concert.

This was one of the best concerts I’ve been to. Billie Joe, the lead singer, would not let this audience act like a typical Midwestern audience. The minute he hit the state he yelled, “Get UP! You’re not watching TV!” and wouldn’t let up on the crowd until they were in a full-on punk-out frenzy. It was a beautiful site, and F-U-N.

I’m a little embarrassed to admit that my back hurt the next morning. It was quite a work out! Plus, I’m no spring chicken - although, I was far from the oldest person there. I saw people in the audience from 6 to 65. There were a couple dads with their sons sitting by me. It reminded me of going to concerts with my mom. She took Ellen and me to see Rick Springfield at the Nebraska state fair in 1982 when I was in 5th grade. I wish mom and Ellen could have been at the Green Day show with me. They both would have loved it.

It’ll be fun to take Addie to her first concert. Maybe that’s how we’ll celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary – but we’ll have to pick a band daddy would like too. Maybe the Indigo Girls will still be playing then!

After leaving the zoo, we went back to camp to drop off Dennis. We decided to pay a quick visit to Sonshine Chapel where we were married. It’s still as beautiful as it was then, and being married to Dennis has gotten more and more beautiful each year.

3 comments:

Amy L said...

Happy Anniversary and here's to many, many more!

The Nielsens said...

Congratulations!

writermom said...

Happy anniversary, once again, to one of the bestest couples I know!