
I walked out of the house this week and heard birds singing. Birds! SINGING! I nearly wept.
I think it’s been the longest winter ever. But finally, and amazingly, most of the snow is GONE. That snowman shown below in my last (and extremely outdated) blog post JUST melted this past weekend. Only his sad little stick arms remain in our squishy yard. That snowman, in various states, had been in our front yard since the middle of December.
Yesterday, when pulling into our mud laden driveway, I noticed a newspaper tossed on the ground. At first I thought we scored a free-bee since we only get the weekend paper. Turned out it was a newspaper from December 27th that had gotten buried in the snow and was just resurrected.
It’s been a long winter. It’s not just that the winter weather was more wintery than ever, or the two solid weeks of fog in January. The Christmas blizzard was just the beginning of a snow storm of crazy blowing into my world.
First, my boss retired. I had a great boss. When he retired the last day of December I knew I’d miss him, but I didn’t realize that I’d mourn his retirement while also taking on all of his job responsibilities. I’ve been scrambling since the first day of 2010. It’s been cray-zay.
Second, with my boss gone, that left a vacancy for which I debated applying. It’s a promotion. A considerable promotion, but it would also be a jobby big-girl job. Were the additional responsibilities worth the additional pay? I decided to apply.
Those who have ever applied for a job with the Federal government you know it is an extremely daunting and arduous process. So, what also contributed to a very long winter was me putting together my job application and writing 10 pages of my “Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.” This job application immersed me into a career reflecting, thesaurus flipping, no weekends and long week nights, typing fool. After (sadly) even working on my application on our family vacation to Florida, I handed in the monster on February 19th 15 minutes before the job vacancy closed. It was terrifying and extremely liberating at the same time. So, now the wait. No news so far, but I do know there were over 40 applicants.
Meanwhile, I’ve been learning a lot. I’ve been traveling a lot. I’ve been to a LOT of meetings. Thankfully, things have settled a bit, and I’ve come up for air.
Inhale.
Exhale.
Here’s to spring, and new beginnings.
I think it’s been the longest winter ever. But finally, and amazingly, most of the snow is GONE. That snowman shown below in my last (and extremely outdated) blog post JUST melted this past weekend. Only his sad little stick arms remain in our squishy yard. That snowman, in various states, had been in our front yard since the middle of December.
Yesterday, when pulling into our mud laden driveway, I noticed a newspaper tossed on the ground. At first I thought we scored a free-bee since we only get the weekend paper. Turned out it was a newspaper from December 27th that had gotten buried in the snow and was just resurrected.
It’s been a long winter. It’s not just that the winter weather was more wintery than ever, or the two solid weeks of fog in January. The Christmas blizzard was just the beginning of a snow storm of crazy blowing into my world.
First, my boss retired. I had a great boss. When he retired the last day of December I knew I’d miss him, but I didn’t realize that I’d mourn his retirement while also taking on all of his job responsibilities. I’ve been scrambling since the first day of 2010. It’s been cray-zay.
Second, with my boss gone, that left a vacancy for which I debated applying. It’s a promotion. A considerable promotion, but it would also be a jobby big-girl job. Were the additional responsibilities worth the additional pay? I decided to apply.
Those who have ever applied for a job with the Federal government you know it is an extremely daunting and arduous process. So, what also contributed to a very long winter was me putting together my job application and writing 10 pages of my “Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.” This job application immersed me into a career reflecting, thesaurus flipping, no weekends and long week nights, typing fool. After (sadly) even working on my application on our family vacation to Florida, I handed in the monster on February 19th 15 minutes before the job vacancy closed. It was terrifying and extremely liberating at the same time. So, now the wait. No news so far, but I do know there were over 40 applicants.
Meanwhile, I’ve been learning a lot. I’ve been traveling a lot. I’ve been to a LOT of meetings. Thankfully, things have settled a bit, and I’ve come up for air.
Inhale.
Exhale.
Here’s to spring, and new beginnings.
1 comment:
It's always nice to read your posts, and we're enjoying seeing your mother, too!
Post a Comment