Thursday, April 01, 2010

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb


March started off crazy. After being away from home for nearly the entire first week, I was so excited to see Addie when I picked her up from school that Friday. She was pretty excited to see me too, and chatted all the way home, and continued to provide a play-by-play of her entire week once we reached home. As we approached the back door of our house Addie was turned back looking at me and excitedly chattering away. She missed the first step and landed face first on the second. I'll never forget the sound of my precious baby's face hitting the concrete.

Addie was so brave. She cried, of course, but she never totally freaked out.
I'm proud to say that I didn't freak out either, but it took a very conscious effort! We did end up making a trip to the ER to make sure she didn't need stitches. Thankfully she didn't, and we're hoping she won't have too much of a scar. It's healed nicely as you can see.
Addie had me document the entire event with a story she had me write out for her. It goes like this: "I fell on the concrete step. I had a big ouchy. We went to the doctors. We went to a restaurant. Then everyone went to bed."
Yep. That pretty much summed it up. I'm hopefully this matter-of-fact attitude carries through into the more drama-laced teen years. But then again, she IS related to me, so . . .

Thankfully the month ended on a much more positive note. I learned that I was hired for the job I applied for back in February! I'm really excited, (and a little nervous).
Am I really ready for this much responsibility? I'm going to be someones boss for heaven's sake! I'm on the "state leadership team." What?! It's all a little weird. I am an official bureaucrat!
My title cracks me up - Public Information Officer. One of my girlfriends who also works for the Federal government was quick to point out that the acronym for my position title is PIO, which could loosely be pronounced "PEW." I now want people to greet me with their fingers shaped like guns, and as they mock shoot me make laser gun sounds "PEW! PEW!"
See what I mean about not really feeling ready for this much responsibility?

1 comment:

Michele said...

Holy moley that makes me cringe. Glad she is doing ok and recovered easily. Congratulations on your new job. How exciting. I am in a job transition time too and weighing the costs/benefits of different opportunities. Stepping outside the boat is always scary. I like my easy little life.