Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Well, despite bad timing and lack of communication, Dennis pulled off another wonderful Valentines Day - but I sure didn't make it easy for him!

I hardly EVER leave the office, but yesterday I had to run to campus to pick up something, and sure enough, right after I left, Dennis and Addie showed up to surprise me with flowers. I got back right when they were taking the elevator down. Thanks to my quick-thinking coworkers I was told to run back downstairs. I was able to catch them as they were crossing the street. So, I did get to see them, but it was for only about 5 minutes since Addie had her 9-month check up that afternoon. We agreed to meet up later to do some shopping at the co-op (not very romantic, but it's SO much easier to shop with the two of us on hand). So I gave him my cell phone and told him to call me at work once the Dr. apt. was finished and I'd meet them at the co-op. Well, I waited and waited and WAITED for his call, but it never came. I tried calling the cell, but he didn't answer. So I left work and headed to the co-op. No sign of them there either, but I went ahead and started shopping, expecting them to show up at any moment. After 45 minutes they still weren't there, so I headed home, starting to get a little worried now. When I got home, there they were! They had gotten home about 20 minutes before me. The Dr. apt. took a little longer than expected so they just decided to come back home. They couldn't reach me because he had my cell phone, and by then I'd already left work.

So, despite all the running around Dennis was STILL able to pull off a wonderful Valentines Day surprise. When I got home a heart was taped on the front door that said "We love Joanna - Dennis, Addie and Albert the cat" When I walked in Dennis and Addie were in the kitchen with "I love my mommy/wife" hearts taped to their shirts. Dennis had decorated the living and dining room with red streamers and balloons. For dinner he made a heart-shaped pizza and chocolate chip cookies. What a wonderful guy!!

The doctor appointment took a little longer because they are concerned that Addie's growth progression has slowed. She's always been small for her age, but at each check up her growth has slowed. She was in the 25th percentile, then the 10th, and now she's nearly off the charts. Dennis is taking her in for a blood test to check for anything abnormal. The doctor said that it's probably nothing, but just a precaution. We'll keep you posted!

No comments: