Tuesday, June 13, 2006

This past weekend was my home church's "Fellowship Meeting", which is Baptist for "a whole lota church!" Addie and I made it back to Cozad for Saturday and Sunday services. Dennis stayed home - Lutheran wimp! : ) Actually, he has been crazy busy out at camp, so he was preparing for an upcoming backpacking trip.

This was my first solo attempt at church with Addie. It was interesting to say the least. She was good, but just so active! I never realized the benefit of having two adults on hand to block either end of the church pew! Another good reason why families should all worship together. : ) We actually spent most of the services out in the fellowship hall where Addie crawled around in "dress mode" meaning she gets up stiff-legged on her hands and feet with her little bottom straight up in the air. I think she does this so she doesn't get tangled up in her skirt. It's pretty funny.

We had a nice visit with friends and family that we hadn't seen in awhile. I was especially happy to see my cousin Stephen who lives in Atlanta. This is him holding my brother's baby girl, Katherine. It's too bad you can't read her bib. David picked it out, and it says "result of an incredible merger". Cute - but appropriate for a fundamental Baptist church setting? You decide. : ) Sounds like something David would appreciate, though!

I was a little disappointed (OK, jealous) to see that Stephen sold his Mazda. He and I had both been driving very OLD Mazda's. His was a 1992, and mine is a 1990. His was in an accident recently, and the car wasn't really worth fixing so he decided to buy a new car. I wonder how much longer my old Mazda will keep going? My goal is to hit 300,000 miles - only 65,000 miles to go! Actually, we went car shopping this fall and were pretty disappointed in what we found. We refuse to buy a new car that gets worse gas mileage than our car that was made 16 years ago. But we also don't want to drive a teeny-weeny car that will disintegrate when we get hit by Bobby Sue Suburbia driving her Hummer while talking on her cell phone. We'd like a family-sized all wheel drive, but also refuse to drive a SUV. So we're holding out for an AWD, hybrid 4-door wagon. (Hellooo, Subaru?!) Hopefully Addie won't be in college before auto makers create such an animal! In the meantime I'll be tooling around in my 35 mpg gettin' sedan, with the automatic in-the-door-track seatbelt, and cassette deck with the blown speakers. All the while keepin' my eye out for Bobby Sue since I don't have airbags! : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure miss those times. I always looked forward to family coming to town and getting to hang out together. Someday, maybe it will happen again. I just hope it isn't for anything bad. Happy get- togethers work best! lol have a wonderful week.