
We hosted a little BBQ in their honor, and invited mutual friends. I actually thanked Kathryn for sharing her friends with me. If it weren't for her, I'd have far fewer girlfriends around since I've met some of my dearest friends through her - one of which is dating my brother-in-law, so were all just one happy group! Here's Kathryn (in sunglasses) and Megan and the kids.
Alex turned one in March, and it was fun to see the "coming attractions" of toddlerhood. He is so smart! He uses a bunch of words and is very expressive. Addie was pretty happy to meet Alex. When they first arrived she immediately crawled over to Alex, got right in his face and started screeching with glee. Is she already boy crazy?! That night after the BBQ, Kathryn, Rob, Dennis and I sat around the dining room table and talked about the changes in our lives since having kids. Both Rob and Dennis stay at home with the kiddoes while Kathryn and I work outside the home. It was fun to see how many common experiences, worries and joys we share. We laughed a lot. I wish they lived closer! And they had some exciting news - they're expecting in February!!!
On Saturday we headed to Cozad. My brother and his family had arrived earlier that day from Atlanta. Their family of 6 made the trip in their mini van. They're my idols! We had a really nice time at home, and it went by way too fast. This was the first time Addie and Katherine were able to meet their cousin Tori. It is so neat that all of the little girl cousins were born so close together!
On Sunday after church Dennis and I had the rare treat of being able to got to the movies while Granny kept Addie. So David, Chris, Dennis and I went to see "Superman Returns". It was a lot of fun, and a really great flick.

On Monday we kicked around the house most of the day. Dennis played games with Drew and Alex. He's still amazed at how sharp those two are! That evening we headed to my sister Lara's house to celebrate their son, Luke's 8th birthday (eight!?). We hauled the bikes down and went for a quick bike ride/walk down the bike trail. It was a lot of fun.
Tuesday was the 4th. After a yummy lunch of daddy's BBQ we geared up for that night's celebration with friends and family coming over for a grill out and fireworks. All of the kids looked so cute in
their matching 4th of July outfits. Here's a picture of the girls in theirs (L-R Addie 13 months, Katherine and Tori both 6 months). The boys had matching outfits too, but they weren't still enought for me to get a photo!We headed home early Wednesday morning. We were sad to leave because Uncle Dicky, Aunt Charlotte, Uncle Victor and Aunt Elaine had just arrived. We were able to see them for just a few minutes at Mamo and Papo's. It was a special treat to also get to see Aunt Charlotte and Aunt Elaine's dad, Harold Anderson. We hadn't seen him in several years, and he and his wife had been like another set of grandparents to us. I'm not sure if he remembered me or not, but it was still so good to hug his neck and introduce Addie to him. What a dear man.
It was a good visit, but we missed having John and the boys there, and I especially missed Ellen while I was home. Holidays when we're all together is still hard for all of us, I'm sure. There is this underlying sadness because something is missing. Still, I'm so very thankful for my brothers, sister and their families. It makes the hole in my heart much smaller having them there to fill that void. Hopefully it will continue to get easier.
Last weekend we were with all of Dennis' family at his parent's place. I told Dennis that it makes me a little jealous that he can be with all of his family on a pretty regular basis since they all live in the area. Wes grilled up a delicious "ode to the shish kebob" lunch. Then we filled up the kiddy pool for Addie to splash around in, which she did for about 10 minutes. The grownups got more enjoyment out of it. We sat around it with our feet soaking and visited and sipped root beer and eating popcorn. Pretty relaxing afternoon.
So, we've had some really wonderful times with our families over the past couple weekends. I am so thankful for all of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment