Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hallelujah the heat wave finally broke! It's been over 100 degrees for the past week. Today it's about 30 degrees cooler. Feels like heaven.

Saturday was Camp Carol Joy Holling's (where Dennis works - http://www.nlom.org/) annual fund raiser - their quilt auction. It was MISERABLE. I'm not usually all that bothered by the heat, but this was bad. Somehow camp managed to raise a record amount of money. The quilts were amazing as usual.

On a much sadder, heat-related note our family dog, Mocha, died last week from what we think may have been heart failure induced by heat exhaustion. Mocha was 12 1/2 years old, so she had a long, and hopefully happy, life. I know Cynthia will greatly miss her friend and constant companion. Home will not seem the same without Mocha running up to greet you.

Back on our farm the only casualty from the heat has been our lawn. The critters lay low and stay out of the sun. Albert, our cat, is usually no where to be seen during these dog days. Laverne and Shirley (our pair of layer hens) hang out in my flower bed - much to my chagrin - and dig down to the cooler bare dirt. Poor Shirley was also recently victim of another vicious attack by the neighbor's dog, Rosie. Thankfully Rosie isn't much of a bird-dog or Shirley would be missing a whole lot more than her tail feathers.

Addie is doing great. She will be walking any day now. She's already taken several steps on her own, but comes in for a crash landing into your arms. Her latest joy is reading. No one but her can figure out what she's saying, but she "reads" with such conviction and expression. It's very cute.

We have captured the "walking" and "reading" on our newly purchased DVD video camera. I tried to capture Dennis and Addie's finish in the Cornhusker State Games "Footstock" 10K race. Dennis was the only person running with a jog stroller and he still finished within the top 1/4 of the runners. Unfortunately, I didn't get the camera figured out in time to capture their big finished. Too bad because Addie was jabbering away the entire race. I'm happy to have the camera, but I'm going to have to get over feeling like a tremendous dork using it. I'll have to ask my dad his technique. I grew up with my dad having one eye plugged into the family handycam saying "and we're fading out . . ."

Speaking of dad, he had been going through a very stressful legal ordeal with a former employee. We are so VERY thankful to report that that has all been resolved in daddy's favor. It has been a complete and most evident answer to prayer. There is no other explanation for the perfect outcome to a situation that has had daddy in turmoil for over a year now. We are so relieved and very thankful.

Dennis is currently leading a staff backpacking trip through the Snowy Mt. range in Wyoming. Addie and I fly to Denver to meet up with him where we hope to do a little hiking. We're looking forward to our mini vacation and break from the hot weather, which is promised to be returning shortly.

I was able to have a pretty cool experience through work last week that was a bit like a mini vacation. I traveled up to the Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska Pow Wow. This year marked its 140th anniversary, and it claimed to be one of the largest Pow Wows in the nation. It was quite an amazing site. Here's just one of the many photos I snapped. I shoulda had my new video camera with me!

1 comment:

Misty Dampier said...

wow! congrats on the 10k finish! It's been an effort for us to get down to the park on a regular basis and that's only a few blocks away! would love to see pics of the reading as well! :)

-misty