Thursday, December 13, 2007

Burrrr. Is winter over yet? I shouldn’t say that. I like winter. I like seeing everyone all bundled up in their stocking caps and mittens (and Addie in her snow suite is the BEST!). I love seeing our Christmas tree lights through the window when I pull in the driveway at night. There’s nothing better than sitting by the fire with a warm cup of tea. And there’s REALLY nothing better than waking up and learning you don’t have to report to work due to ice and snow, which happened here on Tuesday. Yippee!!

Ok, I’m over it. Winter is really nice. It causes us to slow down. It quiets our world and makes us more appreciative of the basics - like food, shelter and electricity. Which reminds me - after Cozad’s ice storm last Christmas and us just narrowly avoiding Tuesday’s ice storm by a mere 40 miles, I think I’m going to ask Santa to bring me a generator!

Thankfully, the threat of ice and snow didn’t keep Stacy and Malia from heading out to our place for our “book club” meeting on Saturday. I put book club in quotes since we don’t read a common book anymore. We do talk about the books we’ve individually been reading, which may be more informative anyway.

We had a great time baking up batches of Christmas goodies while listening to Chirstmas carols and drinking mauled wine. It did me good to have my girls near after such a heart wrenching week. We caught up on each other’s lives while we mixed sugar and butter, measured flower and steamed over the kitchen windows. I don’t think my oven had ever been on for 4 consecutive hours before!

Saturday also brought Addie’s first Santa encounter. Earlier that morning we attended a “Breakfast with Santa” benefit for Children with Autism. We went with Maggie’s family so I don’t know if Addie was more excited to see Santa or Sydney. All I do know is that if Syd hadn’t been up on Santa’s lap there would have been NO way Addie would have ever gotten up there. I guess I should be happy that she’s not real keen to sit on strange men’s laps – even if it is Santa Clause.

2 comments:

Shari said...

3 updates one month??? WOW! Better be careful, you never know how much snow you'll cause us to get! Addie is so cute in her snow suit! Owen finally sled down some hills after Maggie fearlessly braved the hill! (She also was fearless with Santa, Owen had to be coaxed into it....after seeing that Maggie did it first!)

stacy said...

The cutest pink snow bunny ever! Addie looks like one of those pink marshmallow bunny peeps. :)