One minute you’re reflecting on the wonders of the holidays, and the next you hear that eight of you fellow Nebraskans were gunned down while doing their holiday shopping at Westroads Mall in Omaha yesterday. I haven’t been personally affected by the tragedy, but it leaves me shaken. When I hugged my husband and baby good-bye this morning I wanted to burst into tears. I know they could be taken from me just like that. Poof. Life is so precious and so fragile.
I also know that I’m hyper aware of life’s fragility this time of year anyway. Sunday marked the 3rd anniversary of Ellen’s death. So this time of year is always hard. The holidays used to be a time to look forward to seeing my sister. Now the holidays will just never be the same. I don’t care if it’s been 4 or 40 years since her death. I will always miss her, and my life will always be changed because of that void.
Now there are eight other families who have started that journey of grief, and then eventually, the dull realization that you won’t see that loved one sitting across from you at the holiday table ever again. And for what? Because some selfish, screwed-up kid decided to “go out in style” and become “famous”. What sort of world have I brought my daughter in to?
I shouldn’t blog when I’m this heart sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment