Monday, January 21, 2008


Demolition has begun! I don’t know what it is about MLK weekend, but that’s the same weekend we started working on our bathroom remodel last year. In that same tradition, Wes and Dennis completely disassembled our kitchen on Jan. 19th.
Here's what it looked like when I went to work:



Here's what it looked like when I came home:












I went into the basement and they had set up an entire kitchen in the basement. They basically carried the cabinets downstairs, and set the countertop back on top of them. Dennis set up a utility sink and moved our new stove down along with the old fridge and microwave. So we have a fully functioning kitchen! The only problem is that it’s been about 300 degrees below zero here for the past week, and our basement isn’t finished at all. It’s about 50 degrees down there. Burrrr!! And to think we used to go down there to shower before we remodeled the bathroom!! How did we DO that!? I’m sure we’ll look back on our old kitchen after we’re finished with the new one and wonder how we survived in such conditions.

So, this MLK weekend - and truly no disrespect meant to Dr. King - but I have a dream. I have a dream for a kitchen sink that isn’t stained and whose faucet is actually attached to its base. I have a dream for kitchen cabinets that close completely and aren’t covered in a dirty film of funk. I have a dream of walls not covered in wheat-shaft and straw hat wallpaper. I have a dream of no more cream countertops with flecks of gold sparkles. I have a dream of having a dishwasher! It brings tears to my eyes to think about having a dishwasher!!

2 comments:

stacy said...

I am so impressed with your basement kitchen! I think it will be so helpful sanity wise while your new kitchen is being built. Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

Anonymous said...

Oh girl, I share your dream. We too have the gold flecked counter tops! We have the porcelain sink (although I do like the depth) and no dishwasher for me either! Our house was built in the 30's and the cupboards are so high up I can't reach anything on the top shelves! Oh, and let me tell you, the color, oh the color....it is enough to make you cry! Royal blue was not made to be in a kitchen! We are working on finishing our basement so I have to wait on the kitchen. I DID tear down the wall paper though. I am not sure who thought royal blue and purple grapes matched! I can't wait to see your finished project, I am so envious.