Yesterday the Pope family lost one of its most loyal, and furry family members. Milo passed on to that great prairie in the sky, where I trust he is happily chasing rabbits and feasting on his favorite meal - Old Roy dog food. Milo lived to be 15 years old and was just a puppy the first time Dennis brought me back to Sterling to meet the family. He was a stray, I think, that Wes had brought home after finding him seems like along the road somewhere, but I may have that all wrong. But his rough childhood didn't manifest in any maladjusted behaviors. He was a good dog in so many ways. He was a sweet natured guy that always wanted to be rubbed and patted. You'd have to make the sign for "touchdown!" if you didn't want him to bug you to death for want of being petted. Then he'd be back about 3 minutes later nudging you with his nose or putting a reminding paw on your lap, and sometimes even jumping up in your face as if to say "HEY! YOU! PET! ME!" but not very often. Like I said he was a good dog. He wouldn't dig up the garden. He wouldn't even poop on the walking trail. Now how many dogs do you know who are that considerate? We're talking one-in-a-million dogs here. And oh how he loved to go on walks. Even in his later years he'd bounce around like a pup whenever we'd pull on our walking shoes and head down the trail.
This was the only photo I could find of him without really digging. But this is pretty perfect. He was always near his people and following wherever they'd lead.

Milo will be creamated and his ashes will be spread on the Pope's tall grass praire. Pulling up to the Pope's without seeing Milo coming bounding out to greet our car will seem most sad and strange, indeed.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry to hear about Milo. And I really like the changes you've made to your blog!
Post a Comment