Grandma and Grandpa Halbgewachs escaped Cozad just before the "Blizzard of '05" and came and babysat Addie while Dennis and I stayed at the hospital on the 29th. Dennis ended up getting a MUCH better nights sleep than me. I had to share a room with a VERY loud woman. She did nothing quietly, and as far as I can tell didn't sleep all night. Consequently, neither did I. But thanks to Dennis, Dad and Cynthia taking care of Addie, I had lots of rest at home the following few days.
I am now feeling good as new. The lump in my thyroid turned to be mostly benign. There was a small spot of cancer present, but nothing that will warrant further treatment. I have a follow-up appointment with an endocrinologist on the 15th. We're hoping to hear that I won't need to take any medications.

The very best thing about my surgery was getting to stay home with Addie and Dennis for a couple weeks. Addie had a major development during my recovery time at home. She started solids! We gave her some plain yogurt as her first food. She did really well with it, which isn't surprising since both her parents are very talented and enthusiastic eaters! I wish I could post video, because we have a really cute one of her trying it for the first time. You'll have to make due with this blurry photo. She has since added brown rice cereal to her repertoire, and has even started opening her mouth for the spoon. She's a natural! So now the pressure is off mommy to produce enough milk! I'm thrilled that we made it nearly 7 months on just breast milk.
Addie has become so much more vocal! She's constantly chattering, squealing, and cooing. It sounds like there's some strange sort of opera happening in our house. She's also become very interested in Albert, our cat. She gets up on her tippy toes in her Exersaucer to peer over the side at whatever Albert is doing. Albert has been very sweet to Addie, despite his having been move way down on the totem pole of affection. Poor kitty.
Addie has mastered rolling over from back to front. Whenever we go to greet her in the mornings she's on her tummy even though we put her down on her back. The problem is that she seems to have forgotten how to get back over from her tummy. She strains in her crib to turn back over, but just can't quite master getting her darn arms out of the road! She's nearly sitting up on her own, but still teeters over if you don't watch her.
We think Addie may be starting to teethe. We at first thought she had a cold, but now think the persistent runny nose coupled with the incessant drooling must be due to teeth. I keep checking those gums, but no sign of any pearly whites yet! Stay tuned!!
And saving the best news for last, my little brother David and his wife, Anna had a baby girl December 8th!!! Kathryn was born around 6 PM, and was 7lbs, 9oz and 19 inches long (I think I have that right). I'll post pictures as soon as I have them! We're so excited!!!!!
1 comment:
Well, I stay at home most of the time, and am a little jealous when my husband gets the DADDY!! greeting coupled with two kids launched at his knees from across the house. There will be some benefits down the road.
I always wanted to take a photo of my kids with the milk moustache and use the caption "Got milk?" You can take the Goldfish cracker song and make it about breast milk as well, don't remember exactly how it goes now. I may have a little too much time on my hands. You have a sweet baby.
Post a Comment