I had an interesting ride into work this morning. I noticed this pickup speeding on the parkway into town, so I had my eye on him once we reached downtown. Sure enough, he nearly ran into me as he cut across two lanes. I honked and braked and followed him for a few blocks wondering if he was feeling bad for his mistake. We then ended up at a red light side by side. I looked over to see who this excellent driver was - half expecting to see a 17 year old kid behind the wheel. Instead I saw a very angry 40ish guy, in a bill cap, with a red face who was yelling at me through is open window. I was completely amazed. As his face grew more and more red I started scanning his cab to see if this genius had a gun rack. He proceeded to call me every name in the book until the light turned green. To prove his point, he then raced in front of me and slowed down just to show me who's boss.
Boy. He sure put me in my place. I'm sorry I got in his way this morning. Really. I am.
This unpleasant, and thankfully inconsequential, experience really got to me. I was physically shaking when I got to work. It was scary. And I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me angry. Having my life and personal property put in jeopardy tends to tick me off. But it mostly just made me sad.
There’s too many angry people out there. If this gentleman got that mad over something so small, what would have happened if he'd actually hit me this morning? Maybe I need a gun rack . . .
Granted, I am no angel behind the wheel. In fact, I would say that I am a little on the aggressive side. I have been known to criticize other drivers and their lack of driving prowess, but I've never verbally assaulted anyone. Still, I need to remember, what goes around comes around and I should give people a break. And I certainly need to be a better example to Addie.
So, I’m going to really try to be a nicer person, not just behind the wheel (God help me!), but in general.
Just don't cut me off, you #$&*#@!!!!
Sigh.
1 comment:
I'm glad you're ok! I had a similar incident where I had accidentally pulled out in front of someone so they had to brake a little hard. At the next stop light I had forgotten about it until the person next to me was honking and yelling out his window so loud I looked over. When my expression was more of incredulity and not begging for forgiveness the guy started getting out of his car. Fortunately the light turned green and people behind him started honking so he was forced to get back in his car and carry on. EVERYONE has committed minor traffic infractions that have inconvenienced someone else or annoyed someone. This guy couldn't see that it was just my turn? I do and try to remember that when I'm driving as I can get really annoyed myself but I'd NEVER chase someone down. A few months ago I watched a similar showdown with a woman and a man in front of me. The woman chased this man and honked and yelled at him at ever stop light. Finally the man rolled down his window and said something like "How fortunate you are to be so perfect that you've never made any sort of driving error in your life." I think she was really prepared for a huge fight and it stopped her in her tracks as she had no acidic comeback for him. They need to start outfitting cars with calming aromatherapy kits or something.
-misty
Post a Comment